Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Illusion of Freedom

This is an interview with George Carlin. I don't want to say comedian George Carlin because George is pretty much a philosopher who tells jokes. I was watching this and was debating whether or not to post this because he was making points I wasn't sure I wanted to be associated with? I don't hold his belief that Americans are all fucking stupid (all the time). I believe we all have the capability to be smart but we either choose not to be, are held down for various reasons, or we are in fact fucking stupid. So I was leaning towards not showing this video, and also I've been trying to not post so many youtube shit.

But then around 6:10 George got into something that made me want to post. I had been planning on discussing in a post the illusion of freedom and how it is being taken over by the concept of capitalistic freedom. People equate our freedom with our freedom to purchase and yet are willing to let the government spy on us for reasons that are at best retarded. Do you honestly think the terrorists don't know their phones are going to be tapped? If you've ever seen any mob movie almost invariably they feature a part where the mob have codes and signs to deal with phone taps. Do you really think the terrorists dont' have the same thing? You see we are duped into believing purchasing is power "purchase power". We are duped into believing that a choice of soda is "choice" it is "freedom". They hate us for our freedoms but we're going to slowly errode those freedoms so they dont' hate us as much.

So I was working on a post for the illusion of freedom, but then along came this video. I've always been one to believe that the truth is better swallowed when coated in a joke.



~Phineas

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home